Friday, March 2, 2012

Fluency Blog Reflection

2/3/12

The blogging assignment was not as bad as thought it was going to be. At first I thought “oh no, I really don’t want to have to put my thoughts on the internet.” I actually found it kind of freeing. While writing blog posts were far from the highlight of my week it was more enjoyable than I had originally believed it could be. At first I had difficulty writing things and when I looked at the writing prompts, I would just say “yeah right I am not going to try writing about that.” After the first week I tried a couple of the prompts, some I was happy and some were abandoned very quickly. The best part of this assignment was it gave me the ability to try different styles of writing and I was able to choose what style I wanted to try. I feel that my successes were mainly when writing about subjects that were more personal to me and things I believed in. The post I probably enjoyed the most would have been what I considered my persuasive essay on why we shouldn’t take baths. When working on this post I used some of the tips we have learned about first drafts and freewriting and just getting in there and letting our thoughts flow. When I was done I was actually impressed with what I had written. It seemed to me that it had a certain amount of personality that I often feel my writing lacks. When I first saw this prompt I thought well maybe I can do that but was not sure I could. Some of my failures included the story I had written about the daughter moving back in with her parents. The story prompts that I tried were the prompts that I struggled with the most. I noticed that the more I wrote the easier it got for me and the less time I would have to spend on it. This was probably a combination of my thoughts flowing more freely to the paper and my typing skill increasing as well. One thing that I found interesting was that I actually started getting excited about writing. When I would sit down and get ready to write I was not sure what I was going to end up with. The sense of achievement I felt when I actually enjoyed writing about something and also enjoyed reading what I wrote was what amazed me the most.

1 comment:

  1. Ryan - Good reflection. It has certainly been a pleasure reading you this semester. ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete