Thursday, February 9, 2012

Responce to "Shame" by Dick Gregory

2/9/2012
I chose the story “Shame” by Dick Gregory. I enjoyed this reading because of the emotion I felt when reading it. He wrote “I never learned hate at home, or shame. I had to go to school for that.” I immediately felt that I could really relate to the author. I have a son who started kindergarten this year. I am amazed at the changes I have seen in his emotional and social demeanor. I would like to be able to protect my children from feelings like this. Even though I know these things are important for their development. I liked how Mr. Gregory explained that there was a girl in his class that he liked. This is another thing that most readers can relate to. By gaining my attention and giving me a sense of relation to his story early on the author made me feel more empathetic to his plights later on in the story. Many readers probably have not been through the same situations as the author. However I think most people can relate to a time when they were embarrassed or ashamed in front of someone they liked.

I had to read this excerpt three times before I fully I understood what the author was truly saying within his writing. I felt that after the author told his story about first feeling shame that he went on and on about the different ways he felt shame. This section caused me too loose a little interest in what he was saying the first two times I read it. This in turn left me scratching my head after reading the last sentence of the work. However after I forced myself to read and really listen to the writing I understood what the point of this story was. I believe the author was saying that the times we could make a difference and don’t are the things we should be ashamed of. There should be no shame in the things that we have no control over. After the revelation I had I believe I would enjoy reading the book that this excerpt came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment