Thursday, February 16, 2012

The thrill of the hunt


             This journal entry will talk about the reasons I enjoy the outdoors. I enjoy hunting and fishing as you can probably tell from my other entries. My hobbies tell a little about me, but the real importance can be placed on why I enjoy these hobbies.  Do I just enjoy eating wild game? Am I in it just for the trophy animals? What specifically do I enjoy about being outdoors? For me being out on the lake, on a barrier island fishing, or in the woods is relaxing yet at the same time exhilarating. When I am spending time trying to outwit the weariest creatures in the woods I can’t help but doubt that this whole world came into existence by accident. I feel that being in the midst of nature gives you an appreciation for life that you can’t get anywhere else. I not only gain appreciation for my life, but also the life of the animals you are trying to outwit. I know there are many reasons that people participate in outdoor activities. Such as to supply a source of food or in search of a trophy, although these reasons are legitimate if the game is pursued ethically, they aren’t what I do it for. If I gain an appreciation for the creatures I am in pursuit of, and challenge myself to a fair chase. I always gain something whether I am a successful hunter or fisherman or not. I once had the opportunity to listen to two whitetail bucks fight right over the ridge from my stand for over 20 minutes. The only glimpse I had of these two deer was a split second before they ran over the ridge. I didn’t take a trophy deer that year but I experienced something that very few people have. I often make my own fishing lures, this allows me to feel as if I am more closely connected to the fish I catch. The excitement of catching a fish on a jig that you hand tied or a plug that you shaped and painted is awesome. Those are the reasons I enjoy my hobbies. I think that these days many people would rather open their front door and shoot something than actually spend time in the woods. This is not me; I want the solitude and challenge of being out of my element and entering the home field of my quarry where I don’t have as many advantages.  

No comments:

Post a Comment