Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Is it Spring Yet?

2/29/12
Spring is right around the corner we have just a few more weeks of winter. I would say that spring is my favorite time of the year. This has not always been the case. I remember when I was a child I always loved fall with the leaves changing color and the cool evenings. Lately though I have a noticed a shift from fall to spring. I look forward to the first few warm days every winter. A warm day in February will cause me to imagine the white bass and spoonbill beginning their annual runs up cool Ozarks Rivers. I start thinking that there will soon be morel mushrooms popping up in the woods from their leaf covered beds. When I open my front door I imagine the sounds of turkey gobbling in the woods looking to join a group of hens. There are many things that tell me spring is on its way besides those first few warm days that make me want to pack all my jeans away. These tell-tale signs of spring include chicks at the feed store, the seed packets everywhere you go, and sale flyers from Bass Pro Shops. I believe that all of these things create a biological change inside of me, a transition of sorts, one that makes me realize I have not been able to enjoy the weather lately. I begin to get “cabin fever” when it starts warming up! I thought this affliction was just something you experienced when you had a freezing cold winter and not a mild one. I am glad I know the way to cure this. I think I will start organizing and cleaning up my fishing tackle, start cleaning up my garden, buy some potting soil and start some tomato and pepper seeds, and go ahead and buy some day old chickens. I will be able to find something to keep my mind off of the fact that it is still not quite spring but just the beginnings of the slow transition to nicer weather.

1 comment:

  1. Ryan,
    I almost have to agree with you on this one. But I am in construction and the cool crisp air of fall blowing across my face is sure a welcome sight from those nasty hot days in July and August. I do love spring though. I am outside a lot and notice when the sun rises and sets each day probably more than most folks. I love it when the sun sets after 6:00 for the first time because it indicates that we warming on the way. I guess I will go 50/50 and just love them both.

    ReplyDelete