Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Too Old For......

2/29/12

I was talking to my wife one evening last year and she had said, “I wish you played some sort of sport so the kids and I could come watch you.” I jokingly said “You can watch on of my fishing tournaments.” Believe it or not that was not the kind of sport she was referring to.  I was never really an athletic person and I am not in the best shape of my life so I just kind of blew this off. Around two weeks later a friend of mine from work asked me if I had ever played softball. I told him no and he tried to convince me to fill an empty spot on his team. I tried to tell him that I on a softball team was probably not going to help the team out. He then told me who all was on the team and I realized that with a recreational softball team it was more about enjoying the game than being an excellent athlete. Then I remembered my wife telling me she wished I played an organized sport. In the end I agreed to play and after the first practiced realized that while not being the best player on the team I wasn’t the worst. Then I realized that I was one of the oldest people on the team. Only two were as old as or older than me. We played a few games and I realized that my belief that softball isn’t that physical was quickly broken. I was sore after each game and I realized just how out of shape I was in. It wasn’t until about the sixth game when I realized maybe I should not be doing this.

I thought I would slide into second base and ended up dislocating my left kneecap. This was very painful but nothing new to me I had trouble with my knees when I was younger. I ended up being off work almost all summer long and was not able to do much of anything. This made me realize that I was probably too old to play softball for fun and my wife hasn’t asked me to play any more sports. 

1 comment:

  1. Ryan,
    At least you made it to second base. I would have had two strokes and a major heart attack rounding first. Then with my Alzheimer’s I would have forgotten how to get to second from there. After being directed to second and arriving thirteen minutes after the ball arrived I would have been called out sliding by a reluctant ump who only felt sorry for me. He would have handed me the softball as a memento for my effort and threw his hand in the air ejecting me from baseball for life.

    ReplyDelete