Thursday, February 16, 2012

My Weekend


This past weekend I hunted in a Predator Tournament. We sat in the cold and wind all weekend in order to try and call coyotes to our stands. The tournament started on Friday afternoon at 4 pm and lasted until Sunday at 4 pm. This was my first predator tournament although I have hunted a few squirrel tournaments. My partner and I secured permission to hunt about 3000 acres and were waiting for Friday afternoon. When I got off of work Friday it was wet and cold and I was not really looking forward to being outside all weekend. It finally dried up and quit raining however it didn’t warm up. We hunted for 6 hours Friday night without seeing a single coyote. I had been hearing the sounds of dying rabbits for so long that I heard them in my sleep. We only called in one coyote all weekend long. The coyote stepped out of the woods across from the field from where I was sitting. I watched him for a few minutes and he wasn’t going to come any closer, no matter how tasty my rabbit distress sounded. He was about four hundred yards away and I missed the shot. That was the first and last living coyote I saw that weekend. The winning team shot 6 coyotes and won over $300. Second place had 3 coyotes and won $175. Third place checked in two, this made me feel a lot better about missing my shot even if I had made it we were one coyote short of money. I had a really enjoyed spending time with friends and hunting all weekend successful or not. I learned a few things about calling coyotes and it is always time well spent when you do something you enjoy. I believe if I ever get the chance I will participate in more hunting competitions like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment