Thursday, February 16, 2012

My pet peeve


              One of my biggest pet peeves would be technology. I guess it is not the technology itself but possibly the way people use it these days. I understand that having a phone that will do everything can be a big help sometimes. I feel that our socialization is actually been degraded by technology. I do not believe that subtleties of our communications can be accurately conveyed through text messages. I am not against having and using technology, but when someone texts me an invitation to something I get irritated. I can’t think of anything more impersonal than a mass text message invitation. Really? Am I that unimportant that you can’t take 3 minutes to call and invite me to something? I mean you are asking me to attend your graduation party for 3 hours, and you won’t take the time to send me a formal invitation.  Text messaging is not the only issue I have with technology there are many more. My five year old son comes home from school wanting a cell phone so he can play angry birds. I don’t have a smart phone so I ask him how he knows about angry birds. It turns out that the 9 year old neighbor boy has a cell phone. Why does a 9 year old need a cell phone? I believe it is sad when I see a family of 5 and no one says a word to another for a full hour while waiting for a table because they are too busy playing games on their phones. If we don’t stop depending on our cell phones what are we going to become. A friend of mine was telling me the other day that he can actually record a message and send it to someone this way he doesn’t have to text message. I just laughed and said “yeah you know we used to call each other and do that instantly”

1 comment:

  1. Ryan,
    I am beginning to think maybe we share the same relatives back in distant generations because you think kind of like me. If you only knew how many times I wanted to just chuck my cell phone over a bridge to see it gracefully splash in the water below. I would do it if I didn’t think that the poor fish might take it apart and design their own phones and become a part of the same nutty society we live in. No sense ruining their lovely little utopia free from technology. Probably the better solution would be to toss it out of the window of my truck as I travel pass a heavy duty road sign at about one hundred miles an hour and watch it explode into tiny little morsels that will rot with the muck in the dirt. Thanks for letting me let off a bit of steam here.

    ReplyDelete